Living away from your home country can be both exciting and challenging. If you are a Nigerian citizen in the United Kingdom, you might find yourself needing to renew your passport.
Although it can seem overwhelming at first, having a valid passport is crucial for international travel. In this guide, we will walk you through the process of how to renew a Nigerian passport in the UK.
How to Renew a Nigerian Passport in the UK
Before you begin the process on how to renew a Nigerian passport in the UK, make sure you have all the necessary documents at hand. Here’s a comprehensive list of what you will need:
- Expired Nigerian passport: Your expired Nigerian passport serves as proof of your current citizenship.
- Passport application form: You can obtain the passport application form from the Nigerian High Commission website or the consular section at the Nigerian High Commission in London.
- Passport-sized photographs: Two identical passport-sized photographs are required. Make sure they meet the specified requirements in terms of size and background color.
- Letter of consent: If you are under 18 years old, you must obtain a letter of consent from your parents or legal guardian. Make sure the letter is notarized or certified.
- Proof of payment: A fee for the passport renewal is required. Ensure that you have proof of payment, such as a receipt or bank statement.
To renew your Nigerian passport in the UK, you need to book an appointment with the Nigerian High Commission in London. Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, it is vital to check the embassy’s website or contact them directly for the latest information on appointments and operating hours.
This is an important step in How to renew a Nigerian passport in the UK.
On the day of your appointment, it’s important to arrive at the Nigerian High Commission in London promptly. Remember to bring all the necessary documents mentioned above. During your visit, here’s what you can expect:
- Verification of documents: Consular officers will check your documents to ensure that you have everything required for the renewal process. Presenting your documents in an organized manner can help expedite the process.
- Biometric data collection: You will need to provide your biometric data, including fingerprints and a digital photograph. This information is essential for issuing your new Nigerian passport.
- Interview: In some cases, consular officers may conduct a brief interview to confirm your identity and gather any additional information if needed.
READ ALSO: How to Change Your Snapchat Username
During your visit to the Nigerian High Commission, you will be required to pay the renewal fee for your Nigerian passport. The fee amount may vary based on the type of passport and processing time. Ensure that you have the necessary funds and carry proof of payment.
Step 5: Track the progress of your application
After submitting your application and completing the necessary payment, you will be given a reference number to track the progress of your application online. Keep this reference number safe, as it will be required to check the status of your renewed passport.
READ ALSO: Hairstyles for Ladies with Attachment
Once you have completed the necessary steps and paid the renewal fee, you will receive a receipt as proof that you have successfully submitted your passport renewal application. The processing time for renewal can vary, so it’s advisable to check with the Nigerian High Commission for an estimated date of collection.
When your new Nigerian passport is ready for collection, make sure to visit the Nigerian High Commission on the designated date and time. Don’t forget to bring your receipt and any additional identification documents that may be required for security purposes.
Renewing your Nigerian passport in the UK may initially seem complex, but by following the steps outlined in this guide, you can navigate through the process smoothly.
Remember to gather all the required documents, book an appointment, visit the Nigerian High Commission, pay the renewal fee, and collect your new passport. By doing so, you can ensure that your travel documents are up-to-date and readily available for future international travel. Safe travels!
READ ALSO: Gift Ideas For College Students
Here are some common questions and answers regarding Nigerian passport renewal in the UK:
A: If your Nigerian passport has expired, you can follow the same renewal process outlined above. However, it is recommended to renew your passport as soon as it approaches its expiration date to avoid any inconvenience or travel restrictions.
A: Currently, the Nigerian High Commission in the UK requires applicants to visit their office in person for passport renewal. Therefore, renewing your passport by mail or online is not possible.
A: The processing time for Nigerian passport renewal can vary. It is advisable to check with the Nigerian High Commission for the most up-to-date information regarding processing times.
A: It is not advisable to travel with an expired passport. To ensure a hassle-free travel experience, it is essential to have a valid passport. Therefore, it is important to renew your Nigerian passport before your planned travel date.