Did you mistakenly set up a username that sounds uninteresting or absurd while signing up for a Snapchat account, and you want to change it? If your answer is affirmative, then this article is for you. In this blog post, I will be showing you how to change your Snapchat username most easily.
Whenever you sign up for a Snapchat account, you get to create two different names for yourself: a display name and a username. Until February 2022, users could only change their display name without changing their username.
If you have a Snapchat account, you can now change your username to whatever you like. There is, however, a catch that comes with this feature. To be frank, finding a Snapchatter with his or her username can be quite difficult because they aren’t always easy to understand.
Your Snapchat username appears on your stories, snaps, and other Snapchatters’ feeds, whereas your profile only displays your username. If you’d like to change your Snapchat username into something you think will make your friends and other users easily find you, carry your bags, and let’s walk you through how to do that.
How To Set Your Username
Changing your Snapchat username is very easy and can be done with a few clicks of a button. Whether you use an Android or iPhone, you can follow the steps below, as both are the same:
- Open your Snapchat app and tap your profile icon or Bitmoji at the top left corner of your screen.
- Then click the gear or settings icon at the top right of your screen.
- Select a username from the options displayed.
- Click on the Change Username button.
- Then a dialog box will pop up at the center of your screen. Tap ”Continue”.
- Enter the name you’d like to use and click Next.
- Enter your password in the next window and click the Confirm button.
- Snapchat will then ask you if you are sure you want to make the changes, informing you that you can only change your username once per year. If you wish to proceed, click the Continue button.
Voila! You will get a congratulatory message telling you that your username has been successfully updated. Note: While Snapchat doesn’t allow you to reuse a username used in the past, it might become eligible for reuse for someone else in the future.
Why can’t I change my Snapchat username?
While Snapchat allows you to change your username to whatever you like, it comes with a catch. If you are having difficulty changing your Snapchat username, below are some of the possible reasons:
- It’s not been up to a year since you changed your username. Your username can only be changed once a year. That is, if you want to choose a new username when it’s not up to one year after you changed to a new year, modification difficulty becomes inevitable.
- The username has already been used. If you enter a username that has been used by another Snapchat user or has been used in the past, Snapchat will not approve your edits. While trying to change your username, Snapchat will let you know if a new username is available or not. If a username isn’t available, you will see an error message that reads, ”This username is not available”. If it’s available, you will see text under the username field that reads, ”This username is free”.
- Your Snapchat app is outdated. It is needless to emphasize that an outdated app will be bereft of new features. If you don’t have the latest version of Snapchat, ensure you update it on the Play Store or App Store to have access to all its latest features.
Can I change my Snapchat username on the Snapchat Web?
One of the downsides of Snapchat Web is that it doesn’t incorporate all the features available on the Snapchat app. Unlike the Snapchat app, the Snapchat web ‘’Account Settings’’ doesn’t display the username option. This means you cannot change your username on the web version of Snapchat. You can’t also change it on the Snapchat desktop app, as it has the same interface as the web version.
How Often Can I Change My Snapchat Username?
If you change your Snapchat username now, you won’t be able to change it until after the next 12 months. You can change your display name as many times as you like but you can only change your username once a year. The only way to change your username within the one-year timeframe is to create a new account.