Find My iPhone or Find iPhone is an app and service provided by Apple Inc, which allows you to track the location of your iOS devices and Mac computers remotely. Find iPhone is also known as Find My iPad, Find My iPod, or Find My Mac) for other devices.
This means that if your Apple device is stolen, lost or misplaced, you can use the Find iPhone app to remotely track them — be it an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac — from virtually anywhere, as long as the Apple device in question has some kind of internet connection.
Aside from helping you to locate a stolen or lost device, the Find My iPhone app can also assist in remotely wiping your private information so your device data doesn’t fall into the wrong hands. So if you have no idea on how to go about this, then we will walk you through enabling Find My iPhone on all your devices as well as how you can track them both on the web and via the Find My iPhone app!
How to turn on Find My iPhone for your iPhone or iPad
Follow the steps below to set up your iPhone locator;
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your Apple ID at the top.
- Tap iCloud.
- Scroll down and tap Find My iPhone.
- Tap the switch to enable it.
iPhone Locator: How to use Find My iPhone on the web
If you have a computer, then you will be able to track iPhone location or other Apple devices easily on the web through iCloud.com. To do so (iPhone Locator), just follow for steps below for ease;
- Open iCloud.com in any web browser.
- Log into your iCloud account.
- Click on Find iPhone in the main menu.
- Enter your Apple ID and password and sign in if prompted
- Click on All Devices at the top.
- Then click the device name for the device you’d like to track.
- You can then zoom in and out on the map to track it more closely, or you can choose from one of the modes listed in the upper right. Here is an explanation of what each does:
- Play sound – This plays an audible tone, even if your Apple device is on vibrate or silent. You can use this option if your device has gone missing around the house.
- Lost mode – To use this option, you’ll be asked to enter a phone number which will be displayed on the screen of your lost device. This is so that someone will be able to use this number to call you if they find the device. An audible tone will also be played to draw attention to the device.
- Erase – And if you don’t think you’ll be able to retrieve the device, or if you’re worried about someone accessing your private data, you can then remotely delete everything on it in order to protect your privacy or information.
Find My iPhone: How to set up Find My Mac
- Go to the Apple menu.
- Click System Preferences > iCloud.
- Check the box to turn on Find My Mac.